Suzi:
You are far away this Valentine. Spending some time with Isabella and her parents in Indianapolis courtesy of the generosity of all our children. How special you are to all of us. More and more each day you are a stronger, more powerful influence for love and rightousness in all of our lives. Your name Susan is now 4 generations old in the Davis family. My grandmother, one of my favorite aunts and a dear cousin share the distinction of being "Suzi" in our lives. Today I miss you a lot. I've only spoken to you on the telephone 3 times.
Our lives have become so entwined over the years we think and act as one. You are truly the "wind behind my sails". From the time I first met you - you believed in me. That energy has provided me the confidence and energy to accomplish everything meaningful in my life.
I remember that beautiful long haired brunette I met at the Delta Phi house. Beyond the deep blue eyes and the crooked little smile was the girl of my dreams. A fortune teller in Ogden told me when I was 10 years old that I would marry a dark haired beauty with enticing blue eyes. Glad I waited for the right girl.
From that moment on the bridge in Memory Grove I knew we would be together. The Sunday walks to Garden Park Chapel, the parties at Delta Phi, the first kiss at the Salt Lake City Cemetary all made me want to be with you more.
Those were magic moments. The daily rides to and from school, hangin' in the Union Building, pretending to study on the third floor of the library, racing to my house on Tuesday nights to watch "Laugh In" and cuddle on the sofa in the family room (I know you only did that knowing my Mother would bring us "Snellies" to break up the "action on the couch"). You have always been perfect in my eyes (even the first try at enchiladas).
You are much more than a good cook, a friend, a companion. You have blended my heart with yours and made us one living family. A little over 24 hours you have been gone and I miss you.
Years and decades have past. Today we share 8 loving children and a dozen grand children. Thank heaven each has been blessed by your example and nurturing. There is no finer mother, guardian and friend. I know you are the great blessing of my life. I really know the meaning of the Rogers and Hammerstein lyric from the Sound of Music "...I know I had a wicked childhood, ... but somewhere in that wicked childhood I must have done something good. To have you.
Love Jim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh what a sweet tribute to mom. Thanks for sharing it with us all!
Thank you Sweetheart...such a sweet Valentine. I really miss you too. I guess we do not do well when we are apart We are just a couple old 'Fuddy-Duddies" and it is a good thing we found each other.
I love you! Happy Valentines Day
Post a Comment