I love my class! All is well in Zion. Mindurs has taken all the pain out of going back to the U! She is there as my "official" interface with the university administration. She has hand held me through the whole registration and book buying thing and now is guiding me through the reserve desk at the library and the whole "web site" dilema. Incredible changes. Back in the day we did everything "face to face" with the man. The trick then was to beat the system by smiling and making the whole thing easier for the person on the other side of the counter to do it your way than to do it the right (university) way.
I have two (2) incredible papers due. Each 3000 words (11 pages) one on the process of historic preservation and one on a specific project... I met with "Bob the professor" and cut a deal to have the specific project be the nomination to the National Trust For Historic Preservation for designation as a National Historic Place. Sooooo.... I pulled all my files and found a completed nomination form done by Brigham City to place the mill on the registry. This puppy is really complete footnotes and all. It was submitted but denied at the state level because the metal sheds were not 50 years old (the magic age for project placement on the registry). The moral question is "at what point can I alter the application to be original work and not plagarism". The "damn moral sense" as Twain called it , tells me any alteration would trigger the plagarism thing because I would be relying on someone else's research. Ethics really get in the way.... So I move on.
No harm, no foul, I'll just do the registry thing on Pioneer Craft House (PCH). So I go down to the Department of State History at the Rio Grande Depot on 300 South and 400 West. I go in and find a wonderful (complete) file on PCH all kinds of documentation for the application. Then at the bottom of the pile...yep, there it is a complete application from the 1970's. What have I done to be so fortunate yet so unlucky. Damn the moral sense thing. You know it really does get in the way.
Soooo....any ideas on what to use for a project?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Too bad you sold the house on 3rd East. You could preserve a really old house built from a Sears catalog!
Post a Comment