Friday, January 11, 2008

Sausage Rice Casserole



Here it is Cindurs and Mindurs! I don't know if it is exactly the same as the one Mom made... but I found this on the internet and it was Super tasty! I actually remember it from a shower I went to with Mom when I was very young. I think Aunt Mary Lou made it, but I can't be sure... and I can't imagine who's shower it might be!

1 pound pork sausage, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 (4.5 ounce) package chicken noodle soup mix
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the sausage. Combine onion, celery and saute for 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat.
Stir the dry rice in with the sausage and vegetables, then add the water and the soup mix. Transfer this mixture to a lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish and top with the almonds.
Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 90 minutes.

2 comments:

Glama said...

That is the receipe! I had forgotten the almonds. I always used ground sausage and browned it, added the onions and celery to the grease to saute. The 1/2 cup of rice is correct...which always amazed me because who would guess that it would grow to soooo much food. In fact for some reason, I am thinking my old receipe called for 5 Tablespoons, but I am getting old and funny and cannot remember. Thanks for doing the research and finding the receipe. I liked it too.

Anonymous said...

After looking at this picture I must admit I was skeptical about how it would taste. But to my surprise, Jenny made it last night with some healthy alternatives, like brown rice and turkey sausage and it was spectacular.