Sunday, May 11, 2008

Historic Phrogs has a new entry

I exhausted the limit for an individual blog and it cut me off. The important message of the Aunt Bessie and Uncle Lyle blog is as follows:

Clearly Aunt Bess was my Fathers favorite sister. They lived within feet of each other their whole lives. During their long lives their were many reasons to take offense. They never did. On several occassions my Mother was at odds with the "family". Never Aunt Bess. She was the peace maker.

Uncle Lyle was a very hardworking quiet man with very limited mechanical and building skills. In my family he was looked upon as different. During the railroad strike of the early 1920's my Dad was a lobor organizer and went on strike and was fired. Mom and Dad had really hard times. Uncle Lyle was a "strike breaker" commonly known as a "SCAB". These are men that were hired when workers went on strike.

This understandably would have hurt my Father and his brothers deeply. Their brother in law taking their jobs. My Father never mentioned it and to my knowledge never treated Uncle Lyle diferently. Somehow he looked beyond it and never looked back. My Father was a fighter with a big temper and strong beliefs about Unions and the rights of workers. This must have been the major test of his life. But he forgot it and moved on. When I was a boy Dad, Jack and I re-roofed Aunt Bess and Uncle Lyle's home and I knew nothing about the above until after my Father had passed.

This is one of the precious lessons of life that I learned from my Father. Your Mom will tell you that the following quote didn't come from my Dad but the example did. "Hate and revenge are like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die." We all got to be Davi' by different means, some were born to the name, some got it by marriage, some never got the name but signed on by marriage. How ever you got here you are family. We love you and will always be there for you.

1 comment:

Missletoe said...

After working on Grandma's house for a year+ I thought I knew all of the family stories, but once again you came up with a goodie. I can hardly wait to teach RS again and tell everyone how cool the Davi are. Thanks for sharing Bampa, I love you!

P.S. You should copy and paste the rest of your story as the next entry on Golden Phrogs so that the story is together!