Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Life here at Sunset Beach is totally different than the laid back way of life at Mazatlan. The resort is built on a very steep hill with different Villa's housing the units. Travel from one location to the pools, restaurants, deli, gift shops, beach etc. is accomplished by going calling a "cool" Toro golf cart to come to your Villa or wherever you are at and pick you up and take you to your next location. They are designed to zip around the treacherous small paths winding up and down the hillside and are able to turn on a "dime". The drivers are very amiable in personality and extremely skillful in their nibble driving ability.

The path is only wide enough for 1 cart at time to travel. Although there are many carts travelling in all directions at all times. In a few places in the road there will be a wide spot for a cart to snuggle over to side of the precipious (sp?), hanging over the cliff to allow another cart to pass by. Even when they are able to pass by, often one cart will nip the front mirrors or bumper of the other cart. These carts are racing all over the mountain side zipping along at sometimes records speed allowing for a white knuckle ride.

Yesterday as we were leaving our Villa to go down to the lobby, our cart came upon 4 other carts coming up the hill and around a curve towards us. There was no pull out spot in the curve, so the other 4 carts had to back down the hill around hazardous curve or two to a spot where our cart could pass. I am not sure who designed the system, but they did not allow for 2 way traffic. So far these cart rides have provided us with the greatest entrainment we have enjoyed at the resort. Bampa commented, "He didn't know we were at Disneyland on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!"

It has been super windy since we have been here. Aunt C is bundled up in her sweatshirt and long pants. There are times I have had to actually admit I was cold. We did get some quality pool time in today. The wind kept us cool, so we hung around the pool over 8 hours. I am surprised how little color we got from the sun.

The surf of the ocean is incredible. Guests are not allowed to go into the water. It is totally understandable when you see the gignomous waves pounding the beach. Nersey would be impress with size and force in which they hit the shores challenging even the most experienced mermaid. I was walking along the beach when a wave came in and the cold surf swirled around my feet sweeping me back towards the sea. The Pacific Ocean is much colder than the Sea of Cortez where Uncle D and I cooled our fins last evening.

I bet you would like to see some pictures of our adventure, but we need the Mindurs expertise to help us download our picture onto Bampa's computer....guess it was our mistake leaving Mindurs, our technical advisor, home. Well we will know better next time!

Love you all....and miss you all, but having a really good time, even if it is chilly.

2 comments:

Mindurs said...

I didn't know I could get a trip because of my technical skills. Next time you go out of town I will remind you that you need your technical advisor, plus her baggage of three. Yikes, it doesn't sound like a kid friendly resort, maybe Naphs and I can go there as an escape from the kiddies.

Missletoe said...

Being cool sounds really good to me! We are suffering through day 4 of 100°+ temps (with humidity). And let's face it, being on vacation is way better than not being on vacation! Can't wait to see the pics!