Saturday, July 14, 2007

What's Mikey doing?

Just to catch everyone up on Mikey. He is in SC. He is doing great. When I read his letters, it's like a little kid in a toy store. In his last letter he said, "I know I'm going to get that wide-eyed look of shock from this. I just wish I could see it. We'll be throwing grenades pretty soon. We've been practicing with fakes, so the real thing should be soon. Don't worry, I'll be fine." He also mentions the best part of eating MRE's is the peanut butter M&Ms that he might get for desert. He is not allowed any candy, cookies, or treats of any kind, except for what comes in the MRE's. The DS "disposes of this contraban properly". Mike thinks it is funny. He told me at the beginning the food was pretty good there and he was going to be careful not to gain any weight. Ha,ha,ha. Can you imagine the amount of calories you would have to take in to gain weight after all the running, marching, situps, and pushups he does in a day? What is he worried about? They do something called combatives. It is kind of like wrestling but military style. He wrote "unlike when I was in school, I won all my matches today". He was doing great in the final round of these combatives until he got hit hard in the nose and ended up with a bloody nose. They made him sit out the rest. He's qualified on his weapons and PT. So he is well on his way to graduation. I am so excited to see him.
The realization of the weather there, has not hit me yet. I am told there is no reason to dry off when you get out of the shower. When you walk outside you will be soaking again.
We are so proud of him. He is really working hard. He is happy to be there and told us he knows that is where he is suppose to be. Knowing this is what keeps him going through the tough times. Not once has he regretted going.

4 comments:

Missletoe said...

Great to see you on the 'ol family blog. It is fun to hear what Mikey is up to. Keep the good posts coming!

Steve said...

Great to hear Mikey is doing well, what about the rest of the Martin clan, what are they up to these days?

Glama said...

Hey, You finally made it onto the family blog. It can be addictive. Let's hear what everyone else is up to. Maybe Allycat and the Miss can log on too and update us.

Mindurs said...

Mikey is amazing - I couldn't of survived boot camp. It is fun to see him grow and become a man. I remember when Cindurs and I use to babysit him. The best is when he peed on Cindurs. He!He! I still laugh about it today!